by SANS Pen Test Team
We are adding another SANS Cheat Sheet to our arsenal of information security/penetration testing cheat sheets available here at the SANS Pen Test Blog. If you would like additional cheat sheets, click on the “cheatsheet” category or see below to find them all.
This cheat sheet is from our SANS SEC560: Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking course, authored by SANS Fellow, Ed Skoudis. To learn Netcat in-depth along with many other tools, methods, and techniques of penetration testing, please consider taking our core pen testing course, SEC560.
What is Netcat… from the wiki:
Netcat (often abbreviated to nc) is a computer networking utility for reading from and writing to network connections using TCP or UDP. Netcat is designed to be a dependable back-end that can be used directly or easily driven by other programs and scripts. At the same time, it is a feature-rich network debugging and investigation tool, since it can produce almost any kind of connection its user could need and has a number of built-in capabilities.
Download PDF: netcat-cheat-sheet
Other Netcat Resources:
Pen Test Cheat Sheets:
SANS Pen Test Training:
- SEC560: Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking – our core penetration testing course.
- SEC542: Web App Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking – learn web application penetration testing.
Upcoming SANS Special Event – 2018 Holiday Hack Challenge
SANS Holiday Hack Challenge – KringleCon 2018
- Free SANS Online Capture-the-Flag Challenge
- Our annual gift to the entire Information Security Industry
- Designed for novice to advanced InfoSec professionals
- Fun for the whole family!!
- Build and hone your skills in a fun and festive roleplaying like video game, by the makers of SANS NetWars
- Learn more: www.kringlecon.com
- Play previous versions from free 24/7/365: www.holidayhackchallenge.com
- “On to level 4 of the #holidayhackchallenge. Thanks again @edskoudis / @SANSPenTest team.” – @mikehodges
- “#SANSHolidayHack Confession – I have never used python or scapy before. I got started with both today because of this game! Yay!” – @tww2b
- “Happiness is watching my 12 yo meet @edskoudis at the end of #SANSHolidayHack quest. Now the gnomes #ProudHackerPapa” – @dnlongen